Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sunny Days

One of the protaganists in C. S. Lewis's "That Hideous Strength" says that we (humans) used to like weather. What was meant was that we didn't just like sunny days, or rainy days. That snow wasn't the only thing that would make our hearts happy, or having a great sandal tan because of the uninterrupted UVs. Instead, we liked all weather. That we enjoyed seeing the variations in nature.

I like that idea. I like rainy days, and snowy days, and sunny summer days. I like fog and wind and lightening. I'm very much a "weather" fan, although I enjoy most of it from the comfort of my home with some sort of project. I'm sure if I was out living in that weather I would feel differently. But from my windows almost all weather seems promising in its own way.

But, I've also noticed that I like decisive weather. I'm not a fan of those days that can't really decide what they are. When you wake up to a patchy sky that looks like it might clear up, but instead it gets sunny in one place and rainy in another. It's like weather schizophrenia. And if there's anything I will rail against it's inconsistency. And so inconsistent weather is my least favorite. If it's going to rain, I want it to pour. Sunny means no clouds, or only enough around the edges of the horizon to offset the different blues. I like my snow clean with very little mush and my fog thick and tangible. I like any weather that really knows what it is and tries to be true to itself!

I can understand people that are partial only to sunny weather. Those days are a lot of fun. You don't have to bundle up, you are able to stay pretty wam all day and actually enjoy the feeling of wind on your skin. And, now that I think about it, maybe that's why people like sunny days so much; you are able to actually enjoy being outside in a more direct way. You can feel the sun, wind, grass, water splashes, all of it unmediated. Running around in the rain is unfortunately relegated to the young and slightly crazy, or otherwise "normal" people under great duress. And so with the exception of sunny days, all other weather is a variation on clouds or precipitation.

In Alaska this summer we've had very indecisive weather. So that means very few sunny days and many people, my husband included, are upset about it. But when there is a sunny day, such as today, they make the absolute most of it. And, it is great to see so many people out and enjoying the weather.

No comments: