Friday, July 18, 2008

This is a knitting book?

So, I started reading through the book I mentioned last night: "A Knitter's Alamanc" by Elizabeth Zimmerman. I was thinking I'd thumb through it, read a bit, and decide on my pattern priority list.

I couldn't put it down. I was reading about knittiing an aran sweater. I was reading a knitting pattern and I couldn't stop myself! It was as though I was sitting in a personal knitting class. The introduction tipped me off that this was going to be a different sort of knitting book. And the descriptions I had heard from others with the book told me that it was more prose heavy than anything else. But when I finally made myself put it down, it felt like I had just hung up the phone from talking with a long-lost best friend. And this is a knitting book?!

I have never knit an adult sized sweater, much less an aran sweater. I don't know if I ever will. And even just reading about cutting holes for the sleeves sends shivers up my spine and almost makes me sick thinking of the horrors that could result. But, I couldn't stop myself from reading more and more of the pattern! She inserts so much of herself into her writing. It was and is amazing. It might be one of those books I get in hardback so it sticks around the house for a long time.

And, this book helped reaffirm my opinion that what draws me to different forms of human expression is the individual. I like feeling connected with another human being. I recently read an interview with a fabric designer in a quilting magazine and what she said sort of confirmed this idea as well. She wasn't successful until she started designing what she wanted to, instead of designing what she thought other people wanted to buy. So, it all comes back to that idea of being true to yourself and sharing some of yourself with other people. It's those connections that we want. It's those connections that make a knitting book an irresistaible read.

1 comment:

thefeltedsheep said...

Wow! My thoughts exactly!!! Thanks for writing this down so well. It is what makes handmade truly amazing. And that is the coolest book. I wish I could have met her.