Sunday, August 17, 2008

Baking Cookies

For the last few days I have been craving chocolate chip cookies. I don't know why. I usually like making them, but it wasn't until I was about 5 months pregnant that I actually started really liking to eat them. I also make pineapple upside down cake quite frequently for my husband and don't particularly enjoy eating that either. So, when I started liking the way these ubiquitous cookies taste it was a pleasant surprise. And, as I was saying, I've been wishing that I could just walk into the kitchen and pick up one or two (or three) of these tasty treats, but I haven't actually gotten around to making them.

Now making cookies is sort of like exercising. Which could be good since the more cookies you make, the more you probably eat and the more you need to exercise. But, every time I think about making cookies I think, "Oh, I just don't have time. It takes so long to get everything together, measured out, mixed, baked, and then there's the whole messy business of cleaning up." So, I tell myself it's really not worth it. Same thing with exercising, particularly the cleaning up afterwards, but I can't ever really honestly tell myself it's not worth it. So, I guess it is a bit different. But, inevitably if I just do it without thinking about it, it doesn't take nearly as long and my husband is usually so happy about it he does the cleaning up part. At least with the baking, that is. And then I think, "Wow, I should do that more often!"

So, today I decided to just pull everything out and make some of those chocolate chip cookies. But, this is the first time I've made them from scratch since my son was born and that certainly made things interesting! It helped that my mom came over for some grandbaby time so I wasn't having to hold or entertain him, but it took a lot longer than I remember to mix everything and scoop out the dough onto the baking stone. So, I only had 10 cookies made by the time we had to leave for dinner. Because I was pretty sure the raw egg in the dough wouldn't react favorably to being left in a warm kitchen, I put the dough in the refrigerator.

Then, when we got home we gave our son a bath, filled out some paperwork for his pre-op appointment tomorrow, and now I am finishing the rest of the cookies. It's a bit late for this, and I'm sure I'll regret it in the morning, but I'll have to satisfy myself with a morning cookie. Anyway, the reason I'm explaining all of this is to declare that from now on (as often as I can, anyway) I will be putting my cookie dough into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to scooping it onto cookie sheets and baking it. This dough is so much easier to scoop into uniform lumps, get off the spoon and onto the stone, it bakes more evenly and doesn't spread out as much, and, it's a bit prettier to look at than the runnier dough I put in the refrigerator.

And, I'm sure that if I actually pulled them out when my timer went off instead of deciding to write one more sentence on my blog post, they would be better cookies overall!

No comments: