Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Rowan Day

This morning I broke my long yarn and knitting fast. Maybe it's not really been that long, but 3 weeks seems like a long time. I went to a local yarn store and bought 12 skeins of yarn. It's enough (as I told my slightly more frugal husband) for 5 projects! It was pretty exciting to find all the colors and yarns I needed for these projects, but I didn't notice a few things until I got home. First, all my new yarn is cotton, so now my cotton drawer is quite full. Second, all of the yarn is made by Rowan. So now I have 4 skeins of Rowan Denim for some drawstring recovery pants for my little boy and 8 skeins of Rowan Handknit Cotton for 4 cotton hats in different wonderful stripy patterns!

The hats are for various wonderful children I know and the pants are so that I can stay distracted while I wait for my son's surgery to be finished. We found out yesterday that he needs to have surgery to correct a problem with his kidney. It sounds as though the surgery will take at least 4 hours (from the time I don't get to see him anymore) and the drawstring pants are part of the 4 to 6 hour gifts section of "Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. I think I'll get them cast on and have a little bit started before we go to the hospital, but hopefully it will give me a more productive way to use my nervous energy. I figure I can put all my hopes for safety and recovery into those little pants, instead of working myself up into a self-destructive tizzy!

No comments: