Friday, January 16, 2009

Three in a Row

We are now on our third day off from school because of weather. It is strange to be knitting in the living room to the patter of rain on the roof and windows in January. On Wednesday it took a bit of effort to keep reminding myself that it was indeed January and not, say, September. All of this unexpected time off has meant a good bit of napping, playing with the little boy, crafting, and planning.

On Wednesday I got lots of little things done, but didn't actually finish anything. The one thing I did finish (then promptly unfinished on Thursday) was to clean out the cubby holes under our coffee table. They are great for stashing things away while watching TV, but as a result they have a tendency to collect things. All of this came from under there and unfortunately one of the circular needles has the sizing rubbed off, so I had to sort of guess from matching it with needle sizes around it, and the pile of double-pointed needles didn't go with the packaging they were with so I'm missing a set of double-pointed needles (well more than one, but this is the packaging that I found under the coffee table). I was thinking that maybe if I finally admit I have a clutter problem I can get on the road to recovery, and I won't then have mysterious knitting needles and such floating around the house.

Luckily, I snapped out of that train of thought real quick once I remembered that I can buy a handy little sizing tool the next time I'm at a yarn store and that I have a project in my project in progress drawer that is using the missing needles. Disaster averted, extensive cleaning out unnecessary!

On Wednesday I also cut out the fabric and batting for Bobby's books so that I could get those finished, but I want to put his name on them and in the instructions that is supposed to be done before they're sewn together, so I need to buy a fabric marker before I can finish them. So I have not forgotten them, they are sitting together right next to my cutting table, I just need to get a fabric marker and I'll be ready to finish those!

Since I don't usually venture out of the house on bad weather days I worked on other projects on Thursday. I finished this bag for myself:

And, I started this hat for a friend's yet-to-be-born little girl.

This hat is knit with some of the softest cotton I've ever used: Glaciar Del Cielo I'm using a skein each of Barbie and Espresso (I don't plan on telling her the name of the yarn and I'm reasonably sure she doesn't read this blog), but it sort of reminds me of chocolate and strawberries! I think I'm going to have to get more of this because it is just so soft and gets softer the more I work with it. Perfect for little baby heads!

Other than working on these things I'm following the example of a friend of mine and making a list of presents and scheduling them so I can actually get things done in a more timely manner. It's all part of my goal (I'm not calling it a resolution, because I've wanted to do this for so long that I'm clearly not that resolute about it otherwise I would have achieved it by now) to be more organized! So the list is done and now it's just a matter of working away!

Hopefully this preview of Spring Break will help jump start all these projects!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can save your needle problem. I have that cute little tool that tells you your needle size.
Thanks for the post. I only have one arm left to do on my sweater. Yeah!

Lisa said...

I love pink and brown together. I think it's so cute and really good for babies, so I think your friend will love it.

You don't even want to know about my clutter problem, although moving has helped cause I simply threw out so much stuff.

I love your new bag. The colors are great together.

You are so talented, and I wish I was as well, but I just don't have the patience. Or the money really! HA! But there are a couple easy sewing projects I want to try with the sewing machine I bought my hubby for Christmas. Shhhhh....don't tell him it was a gift for me too!

Love reading your blog. Wish we got to see more of each other!

Lisa

Northern Lights Fiber Co. said...

awesome post! I loved getting to see that bag! And I was linked! :) See ya Sunday