Thursday, February 19, 2009

Small Accomplishments

I haven't finished anything big lately. This weekend and past few days I've done a bunch of little projects that while small are still exciting! And, interestingly enough all were finished on Monday!

First, I dyed a sock blank. A sock blank is essentially a double-stranded, stockinette swatch. Ater you dye it, you can unravel it to knit two identical socks! Pretty neat! It was my first time dyeing (which always sounds weird when you say it out loud) and that was fun and interesting. It gives me a whole new respect for people who do hand-painted yarns!

Second, I finished my Saturday Sampler block. This is the block I was cutting out when I cut myself. I eventually got back on the horse, got it cut out (though rather slowly, methodically, and with much anxiety), retained all my digits, and finished the block! So, "save $10" is checked off my to-do list!

Lastly, I learned to spin. Well, I started learning. I'm thinking it will take me quite a while before I can say with confidence, "Why yes, I do know how to spin!" But, I have started and so here is a picture of my first little single-ply skein of yarn.I plan on framing this puppy! (I don't think there's much else I could do with it.)

Lastly, Bobby has been doing better with solids and has graduated to getting it into his hair (and mine once, but I won't go into that). So this is his rockin' hair after a wash cloth hair cleansing!
The only other super-exciting thing from Monday was that I ordered a Phat Fiber sampler box. A big accomplishment seeing as how they sold out in under 3 minutes from when they were posted. I am practically beside myself waiting for it to arrive! It's perfect timing since I have a new respect for hand-painted yarns and am starting to spin! It's a box with lots of different samples from various independent fiber artists. Each one is a little different, and I can't wait to see what's inside!

That's pretty much been it. We've been keeping busy with day to day stuff, and now I need to go check the USPS tracking to see if my box is getting nearer!

2 comments:

Northern Lights Fiber Co. said...

Great post & Great pics!!! I love Bobby's hair...ok I love Bobby!

RitaLee said...

Goodness, we're waiting here at Orion ever so patiently for your latest post....!