Thursday, March 5, 2009

Is This Thing On?

I wish I could blame my lack of posting, or really any sort of electronic contact with the world outside my home, on technical difficulties. No, I've just been reading and sleeping, and knitting, and thinking of way too many things I want to do, but probably won't find the time to get done. I have, though, been thinking of blogging. I thought of it often, just didn't sit down to do it. I was sick last weekend, and since then anytime I did sit down I promptly fell asleep. So, to catch up with everything I've been doing except blogging I'll begin with Bobby.

The little man has two teeth: two, very sharp, bottom, center teeth. They aren't all the way up, but boy can you feel those suckers when he gnaws on your finger. Which, incidentally, he won't be doing to much more of. I must admit I will miss seeing his gummy little smile, but I'm glad he has teeth. I hear they come in really handy later in life, and I was starting to get a little anxious that they were never going to break free of his gums.

He's been up to his usual shenanigans crawling, screeching, flirting with strange women behind me in the mall, finding little bits of fuzz on the carpet and putting them directly into his mouth when 5 minutes earlier he refused to try the food in his bowl, but instead threw it systematically on the floor, and being generally amazing. Last night during his bath he was getting such a kick out of splashing that we had to refill the tub a couple of times before we could actually bathe him. He also has been nurturing his affinity for dishes, and I'm hoping he keeps that interest well into his teenage years.

Here is a video (rather long so be comfortable) of one of his favorite games. He loves to dig through his drawers and pull out all of his clothes. He also (usually) plays peek-a-boo behind the curtain in front of his closet, but decided not to this time. If you watch at the bottom of the curtain you can see his path of destruction. It was pretty fun.
video
He is ecstatic when he discovers the stash of burp rags he so enjoys, and I think he is getting better at remembering which drawer they're in. At one point he was trying to shove about 4 of them in his mouth at once. Crazy little dude!

He is napping now though, so the whirlwind of activity that is him has settled down for a little while at least.

Sewing has taken a back seat for the last few weeks. Not by choice really, but because I haven't been able to get uninterrupted time at the machine (see whirlwind comment above). I have, however, been getting a good bit of knitting done!

I finished this hat for my sister. It was quite an adventure getting this hat finished. The row when you knit the lining into the hat gave me a lot of trouble. I ended up pulling it out once, quit knitting for about two weeks because of it, then finally got out of that funk when that particular row was done. Then I ecstatically flew threw about 16 more rows only to discover that 4 rows after the lining row I had made a ridiculous mistake. Not one that you could maybe get by without noticing. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about the star on the left is wrong, so wrong, and the one on the right is... right. So I ripped it out yet again. Then Bobby woke up from his nap as I was finishing the top (which looks way cool) and would not be satisfied until I let him try it on. Here it is on a full-size head:And this is the top! I love the design and so may get over my opposition to that one stinking row and make one for myself. But, I have many, many, many other things to finish first.

For example this sweater. I started this a bit ago and now am only one arm away from finishing it! It's exciting to know that I am actually going to finish a sweater! And riding that wave of excitement I have picked out two more sweaters I want to knit.

This #263Knitting Pure and Simple Wrap Cardigan Sweater is going to be knit out of this yarn. I already had 4 of the skeins in my stash, so for a mere $16 I was able to round out the yarn yardage and will have a cool stripey sweater for this fall. That's the plan, anyway. And I mean cool as in kind of hip; I'd rather my sweaters be warm.

And then this Whisper Cardigan. will be done with this yarn. The way it's knit the brown will be a strip that runs across the middle of the back then up around the collar. Kind of hard to explain, but I think it's going to be great! This yarn was also already in my stash, so I didn't have to buy more yarn (not that I would really be opposed to that), but I have swatched it many times trying to decide what I really wanted to do with it. I love the colors, but was never certain how I wanted to use it. Then that cardigan came along and I knew it was meant to be!

I just need to finish that wall of green stockinette sweater first. It's been fun, but, I don't think I'll ever knit with a solid color ever again. At least not for a full garment with nothing else interesting going on. Maybe if it has some cables, then I will...

Other than sweaters I have also been working on another hat, but am only on the bottom ribbing. It is another stranded hat with grey and pink. When I have pictures that show some meaningful progress I'll post those!

But, until then I think I'll go get some grading done, play with Bobby, and knit a bit. I'm very happy that Spring Break is upon us and am looking forward to maybe a bit of time to craft at will!

Looking out at the new snow, words cannot express how happy I will be when actual spring is here.

4 comments:

Northern Lights Fiber Co. said...

Leah, your sweet baby is getting so big! I hadn't realized that he was saying "mama", "dada" and "Bye bye"! That was so sweet to see and I love his wave. Look at you already casting on your whisper cardigan! I love the colors and think it will look great!

Sally said...

The pic of Bobby in the hat is amazing. And am I excited about spring break? YES! AND you HAVE to come to sock summit with us. HAVE to.

alaskamommy said...

Wow. I love the one armed sweater and the patterns for new ones. I can't even get to my sewing machine right now, much less learn how to knit. One sick kid and two semi sick ones will do that. I know we had talked about getting together today, but I don't want to pass on germs, sounds like you've had some too.

Lisa said...

There's this part near the end of the video where all of a sudden he looks exactly like you! Weird.

I can imagine him thinking, "alright guys, clean this mess up now!"