Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Slightly Obsessed

I had plans to blog frequently during Spring Break, but on Saturday night I met my match and have been obsessed since then. First, I finished the hat I had started (finally getting past the ribbing) and love the stranded pattern. I might knit one of these for myself eventually. After getting those hats finished and to their intended recipients, I started my Whisper Cardigan and love it. I started knitting for a large size, but the sleeve was enormous and rolled a lot more than I wanted.

So, I took it out and Sunday cast on a fewer number, put in a few rows of seed stitch and got up to the shoulder. I was loving how it looked so far and had to force myself to bed. I loved it, but could barely keep my eyes open to enjoy it as it knit up.

On Monday I knit like a woman obsessed and stopped 19 rows short of finishing the left sleeve. I was able to make great use of one of my Christmas gifts to count the rows so that the center gathering was actually in the middle of my back. It's a great row counter that goes up to 99 rows, and it's pretty!
Though I don't remember it, I had this conversation with my husband that night.
Me: Did you finish the back?
Bob: Huh?
Me: Did you finish the back?
Bob: The back of what?
Me: The back of the sweater.
Bob: Uhm, no.
Me: sleeping
I talk in my sleep and also, apparently, expect my husband to knit while I sleep. Though I told him that this can provide him reassurance that I don't dream of other men. I don't know how impressed he was that I dream of sweaters and him knitting them for me!

The next morning my hands were sore and stiff, but I persevered and finished the shrug section of the cardigan (up one sleeve, across the back and shoulders, then down the other arm) and picked up stitches that run around the waist and collar. It's 1X1 rib that kind of went on forever but only measured 3" when I was done.

That night I finally finished that section and bound off the stitches that make up the collar. I was super excited and tried it on. It worked pretty well, but the bound off edge was sort of tight, so I figured I should do it right. I took it out and re-knit it only to realize halfway through that I wasn't using the right stitch pattern and it was even tighter than my first attempt. To top it off I ended up popping the point guard off the end of the live stitches and had to frantically, and without much breathing, try to pick those stitches back up while wearing the sweater and the stitches were under my right arm. After that I gave up and went to bed.

Today I did some other things which included planning a trip with friends to Sock Summit 2009 in Portland, OR (ecstatic, crazy, happy dance!), and hanging out with my mom for a bit. But tonight I started knitting more of the lower part of the sweater. I put it on waste yarn to get a better idea of how it will fit.
I can't wait to have the finished object soon. I am looking forward to knitting another one as this one is a little heavier than the pattern calls for and a lighter one will flow a bit more. But I love the weight and coloring of this one!

So, that has been what I've been doing for the last several days. Bobby has been busy with lots of new tricks. He is working on his walking skills; he is braver every day and spends plenty of time each day standing free of any support. (His tendency to run straight for the camera every time he sees it means I haven't gotten a picture of him standing yet.) He also loves chasing, being chased, tickling, and pursing his lips for a kiss. He can also clap now and is making great progress at drinking through a straw. He is getting three teeth on top now to complement his two lower ones and doesn't choke nearly as often when he eats food that he has to gum a bit before swallowing. Overall he's being his happy, goofy self!

1 comment:

Northern Lights Fiber Co. said...

Oh how you tempt me!!! What a great looking cardi! I love that you got such a great pic of it on you! I am so making one of those too! Yes...I am a copy cat.