Saturday, May 16, 2009

All Sorts of Fun

Bob has been out of town for the past week and while I have missed him greatly, I think I managed to "drown" my sorrows a bit today. This may be a sign of addiction, but since it's not interfering with life (too much), yet I'm not overly worried. Today I went out to several quilts and yarn stores in an attempt to purchase several of the blocks for the 2009 Great Alaska Shop Hop quilt. The quilt this year is quite nice and we picked up the first of our blocks at Seams Like Home. Then we gathered up Bobby and headed out to the valley.

There are three shops out there that are participating and they're the shortest driving distance away. Works out pretty well! We went to Sylvia's Quilt Depot first and both picked up this fabric. Sally had seen it there before and wanted to come back out for it. After seeing just how cool it is, I decided Bobby just might need it too. This is how it works: You quilt this piece and then use the remaining panels to create 4 train cars (that velcro together) and 4 buildings (that velcro to the quilt) and you have a portable and very cool train set! And, what little boy doesn't need a train set? Okay, maybe need is too strong of a word, but it's such a neat idea (not to mention soft and washable) that I couldn't pass it up! The shop hop blocks, however, weren't quite finished yet. We put our names and numbers on a list to be called when they were.

Undeterred we wended out way to another small shop, Quilts of Many Colors. Again, blocks not finished; again, names on a call list. Then we drove over to the Ewe First yarn store where I was hoping to find some Cascade Ecological Wool. I plan to use it to make a sweater for Bobby to use this fall. I was in luck and picked up two skeins! Bobby was pretty excited about it too.

Then we had lunch and headed over to Palmer and the last shop Just Sew. There I picked up this way cool pack of fat quarters and drooled over a quilt kit that I now have to convince Bob I need to go back for. But, that aside, no shop hop blocks yet, again a list of names.

We drove back into town and decided that the beautiful weather warranted a walk down to The Quilted Raven in the hopes that their blocks were there. It was a lovely walk and apparently the blocks and quilt in general are also so lovely that they had already sold out of their first batch. We decided that their list was too long and they were too close to warrant adding our contact information yet again and instead enjoyed the walk back. On another note, that shop might be a bit too financially dangerous to go back into unless I have a mission: they now carry Rabbit Ridge yarn as well!

After arriving back at my house we went over to Kelsey's where I was able to pick up this yarn that she dyed up specially for me! I plan to use it to knit this sweater and yes, it is as pretty and shiny and beautiful as it looks in the photo and then some.

And, now that I'm home and Bobby is asleep I think I am going to start working on my second Whisper Cardigan. This one is going to be knit from this wonderful alpaca/wool blend my parents bought me for my birthday and I'm excited to see how it will be different from my first. Which, I noticed I never posted pictures of, so here they are.


Bobby has also been up to all sorts of shenanigans, but that will have to wait until I can upload video from my new camera. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the sweater you are going to knit with the yarn dyed just for you. Really cool.