Thursday, May 28, 2009

In Need of a Schedule?

As a teacher I have literally been in school since I was 5 years old. Little did that small girl in the blue dress, pig-tails, holding a Holly Hobby lunch box know that that first day of morning session Kindergarten would lead her to a lifetime (so far) of school scheduling. It always feels odd to participate in activities from the school year during the summer and for several years when I had a non-school job (it was part-time while I was in college) I still had a boss that would let me take off about a month at a time. So, this whole summer break thing is not new to me in any way.

That said, I always need about a week before I can come down from my what-do-I-need-to-do-now-go-go-go mentality. So, we're one week out from the end of school, roughly. I finished up one week ago tomorrow and my husband was able to check out on Tuesday of this week. But even last night I was asking what our plans were, and what we needed to get done. Even when I'm on vacation I usually need it to be at least 2 weeks so that I can actually relax and enjoy the second week. It helps if the vacation involves travel, then it only takes about 3 days. So in that limbo I'm thinking about Bobby and this coming summer. What are we going to do?

I'm not entirely certain about last summer. It was swallowed up in new baby things. The cycle of nursing, sleeping, changing, crying, rocking, walking, resting, and frantic calls to the hospital because we weren't entirely certain of what this little person was doing in our house and if we were qualified to take care of him, is all I remember. And that's pretty vague as it is. I remember that and a trip to Homer that I never blogged about (but may this summer), and that it wasn't much of a summer weather-wise.

So, I've got no pointers from last summer to really go on. And this summer has seemed odd so far; probably because I'm still in the mental mode to plan. And, I'm suddenly very aware of a need for a schedule of some kind for Bobby. He's been getting kind of cranky the last few days. I'm hoping he's just teething, but his obsession with his dad today makes me think that perhaps he's having trouble with the transition to having us both home all the time. He's not quite used to the perpetual weekend, maybe? Tomorrow he'll get a break from both of us (we're taking a continuing education class), but what are we going to do with this summer? How am I going to make the most of it but still stay relaxed?

It's quite a little conundrum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great problem, just trying to figure out how to schedule 2 adults around a wonderful toddler.
Loved the post and can empathize with your conundrum.