Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Half Way Point

Here I am half way through the week and I haven't written since Saturday. I'm trying to be satisfied with at least this much. Particularly because this half has been a bit busier than normal.

On Monday we had our heat fixed. Because we bought our house in the summer we couldn't tell right away that the heat wasn't working. The heating system had been checked before we bought it and we didn't need to turn it on. But, apparently the east side of town is colder than all the rest of the Anchorage I've been living in, and for the last two weeks especially it had just not been warming up.

Finally we called a guy, he showed up, bought some parts, replaced those, still wasn't working, checked some more things, then thought, just to be safe, he'd double-check that the thermostats were wired correctly. And well, who knew that the wires actually had to be connected to the rest of the house?! I guess whoever installed them got distracted or something and never got around to finishing the job. So, while the thermostat looked for all the world like it knew what it should be doing, it wasn't speaking to the rest of the house about its job and so we had many mornings (and a couple afternoons which was the real kicker) of 62 degree temps. Plus it made me sad that when Bobby wanted to nurse in the middle of the night that I was almost scared of his cold little hands touching me.

Then that night, I had back-to-school Open House. It went pretty well. I had more parents than I think I've ever have before, and it's always better to talk to people than to stare at a blank classroom. The best part was coming home to a warm house. And, I felt safe taking one of the extra blankets off the bed.

Tuesday night, Bobby went to bed at 8 (crazy, I know!). Bob and I relaxed downstairs. We are watching Arrested Development (one of his students recommended it) and while he rested (he's been sick) I worked on these socks. I know only on the ribbing, but the cast-on took a while (I did a tubular yarn-over so it would be nice and stretchy) and for some reason I'm having trouble knitting through the back of the loops. The yarn is by Dye Dreams and I'm excited to see how they knit up. I love knitting from charts. Straight up love it, love it, love it! And, I love the subtle colors in this yarn, so the combination is pretty enticing. I didn't swatch because, while I have a particular recipient in mind, I'm also in that they'll-fit-someone mode of thinking. This is the beginning of my sock summit loot that I'm knitting!

Then, I thought I should maybe try out the wonderful contraption sitting next to the coffee table. The wheel is rented for now, but I'm going to start saving my pennies to eventually buy my own! So, using some fiber I got from a friend of mine I started spinning this. It's pretty nice to just be able to spin and not have to worry about bumming time off someone else and I can start and stop and know that what I've done will always be there. Of course, now that I've said that I'm sure I'll discover wool eating gnomes in the backyard moving indoors for the winter.

Other than heading to bed so early last night (he's making up for it tonight), Bobby's been fixing things with his new toolbox full of tools. He's been working on his shoe sales pitch and eating bananas pretty consistently. He's starting to say some words regularly. His vocabulary now consists of hi, bye-bye, ball, dog, burp rag, baby (there's a baby on the yogurt he likes), and dada. He also can say up and goldfish, but he has some pronunciation issues with them and so it's not real obvious that that's what he means. And, dada means both Bob and anything else he's trying to get. He also knows the signs for please, thank you, water, up, more, and milk. He's been using please and thank you more without being prompted which makes me very happy! Though yesterday Bob and I both got the sneaking suspicion he was telling us to say thank you.

Bob has picture day on Friday and one of the pictures is for a groups of students he works with throughout their time at the school. This year, they've told him he is supposed to dress up as Link (from the video game Zelda, in case anyone didn't know) so we've been looking for costume stuff. We ran some errands looking for things tonight, but beforehand he stumbled across
this pattern for a knitted baby Link costume. I think it's pretty amazingly cute.

Bob has open house tomorrow night and then we'll be heading into the weekend. We're all coming down with a touch of the sniffles, so I'm hoping we all get some rest.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Yes, that side of town is definitely colder. I never realized until I moved away. I think it's because of the mountains. And, I thought you finished your puzzler quilt?!? See you at Saturday Sampler... still have to finish my block, but it will get done. :)