Thursday, November 5, 2009

Lost to the Void, But Back Again

There were two weeks in my life that just sort of disappeared. I'm not entirely certain where they went. I think it had something to do with being eaten by end of quarter grades, parent conferences, home renovation drama, Bobby illness, Halloween and the cutest little dinosaur ever (pics later), lack of sleep, errands, the start of November and NaNoWriMo, the start of a new school quarter, and just life in general.

With NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) starting I've also been experimenting with ways to procrastinate on writing, like cooking a pot roast for the first time ever (overall successful, but far too much garlic for my taste) and then trying to make chicken kiev. Not totally successful, but worth the try. Tonight we had errands that kept us very busy, so my plan (baked Macaroni & Cheese) didn't work out, but it's on the menu for Saturday. So, new recipes and fun eating. Bobby, of course, refuses all meat, but I have high hopes for Saturday.

As I said, Bobby has been sick with something. It just congestion in his upper lungs, I think. I've taken him to the hospital twice and twice been assured his lungs sound, "great!" And the last time she actually said he had, "good breath sounds." So that makes my asthmatic hyper-sensitive-to-breathing-issues self feel better. We have another appointment for Monday because despite the fact that he is taller, not necessarily skinnier that I can tell, feels heavier, and is eating more and more, the scale says he has gained no weight since he was 12 months old. I say it's a liar, they say to keep a food log. So we're recording every grape and goldfish he consumes, measuring his intake of milk in ounces, and cringing when we have to add things like "3 french fries" or "1 fruit loop" to the list. Well, I cringed. Not sure how Bob felt about it. We'll see how that goes.

The other big news that I've been holding out on because honestly it doesn't seem entirely real to me yet, is that I'm pregnant. We're excited, but my memory of being pregnant with Bobby leans more on the looming belly constant moving side, and while my belly is certainly more there (I've caught a few sly glances from students, but so far it just looks like I've been hitting the donuts a bit too hard) it's too early to feel movement. The ultrasound today, though, showed lots of it so I'm sure this little one will be kicking me in the ribs in no time!

With Bobby's pregnancy we had lots of "scares" from early warnings about miscarriage to markers for chromosome abnormalities to pre-term labor. It was, to put it mildly, a bit of an emotionally wild ride. I'm hoping things will be more even keel with this one, though we've had a fun little "scare" (though I hate in some ways to call it that) early on with this one. I went for my first prenatal appointment and thought I was about 10 weeks along. They put me at almost 11 weeks, but they had to adjust Bobby's due date back so I wasn't too concerned. I did get concerned though when the midwife was examining me and said with wide excited eyes, "Wow. You're measuring really big. I mean, I can feel your uterus up here." She went over to her table, grabbed the tape measure looked something up on a chart, came back, measured the height of my uterus, went back, then said, "Yeah, you're measuring between 15 and 16 weeks. Wow. Do you feel something there when you bend over?" She said it could be that I was further along than I thought, which I knew wasn't possible given when I had a positive test, or that I had a lot of fluid, or it was just a second pregnancy thing, or there was more than one...

This entire conversation made me feel so much better about eyeing my maternity clothes a full two months earlier than I had even bought any with Bobby, but the whole possibly more than one baby thing kind of totally freaked me out. She had me schedule an ultrasound right away which revealed ONE little ten week old baby (The exceptionally easy to see and clumped up umbilical cord made my heart skip a beat though). Apparently this one just needs lots of room. That's what I'm going with after seeing all of the stretching and moving going on in there today!

I'm hoping by Christmas to know whether we're having a boy or a girl (the tech today took a guess, but said it's really a big question mark until the later ultrasound) and I'm not going to tell my students until one of them asks. I think it'll be sort of funny to watch their faces until then.

8 comments:

bethc said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and thanks now I can spill the beans.
Nochi

Northern Lights Fiber Co. said...

Great post!! I was just thinking yesterday that you must be at the wonderful end of the first trimester! Woohoo!

RitaLee said...

Yay! So excited for you Leah! I suppose this might give me an excuse to break the sewing machine out that has been sitting untouched since shortly after Ethan was born. YAY! Congratulations to you, Bob, and big brother Bobby :)

Arctic Knitter said...

Congratulations! :0)

Lisa said...

Very happy for you! I am living vicariously through your experiences, as I hope to be pregnant at the same time next year. ;)

Mags said...

Congratulations!! :0)

Holly Jo said...

Wow! Congratulations!!!! Here's hoping for a less stressful pregnancy this time round. :)