Friday, January 1, 2010

Things to Come

2009 went out with a bang for us. Well, not a literal bang, luckily, but an exciting event. Last night we almost hit a moose. By almost I mean the headlights illuminated it's gigantic legs right as it was about to walk into our front bumper. Bob swerved around it, while throwing his arm across me. (I, of course, was very helpful and screamed...) We are both so thankful that no one, including the moose, as far as we know, was hurt. Bobby slept peacefully through the whole thing (despite my attempts to vocally startle him up), and Ginny was kicking around later that night. Some cultures believe that if something frightens a woman while she's pregnant it will mark her child in some way. If Ginny is born with the face of a moose, we'll all know where it came from. :)

Thank God Bob had just washed the headlights (the rest of the car will have to wait), we have studs, and Bob has highly advanced video-game-maneuvering skills. Any of those things being different could have changed it all. I've never had anything like that happen to me before. Bob apparently had an incident in the lower 48 that involved elk vaulting over the hood of his car. This moose just was walking calmly across the road (do they not see the lights streaming towards them?), and if adrenaline-filtered memory serves me is the largest moose ever to exist. It's legs seemed to hit its body about where our car stops and the sky starts. All I really saw of him were his hairy, knobby, moose knees. Then I saw the road we were likely to spin out on, I thought, and then the headlights of oncoming cars, though those were farther away and not a real danger. I checked the side of the car to see if we had a small swipe of dirt gone where we brushed him, but there was none. It was crazy, but we survived.

This event was foreshadowed: we saw a baby moose that had been hit recently enough that the trooper and the car were still there on our way out earlier that night. After our near-collision I was scanning the road-sides as we drove through the flats outside Palmer and Wasilla and in the fog I could see several moose. They suddenly seemed to be everywhere, just waiting for the right car to jump in front of. It's interesting how your perspective changes.

That was the last major event of 2009. It was, for the most part, a good year for us. It's 2010 that has me worried.

I know that it's only the end of the first day and that your attitude and perspective plays a big part in how things turn out, no matter the actual events. I also know that I get myself pretty excited about things and then am bitterly disappointed when they don't meet my (usually unrealistic) expectations. I'm trying to be more reasonable about the coming year.

2010 is bringing change. In 2010 friends are leaving, Bobby is turning 2, a new little girl will be born, and that's before we're even half-way over, and that doesn't include all of the little unexpected events that float your way. We'll see how it all turns out.

I'm not usually one for resolutions. It's the whole expectation versus reality thing (and being disappointed in yourself is terrible). But this year there are a few things I'm going to try to do. They are small, and yet big and important changes.

  1. I'm going to try to write more. I mean both for myself and to other people. I'm usually horrible at corresponding with people, but I can't afford to be horrible at it now.


  2. I am going to learn to say, "no" more often than I have been. I have a habit of putting too much on my plate because I worry too much about disappointing other people. I've started this, and it's hard, but I think it's important.


  3. I'm going to be more intentional about my knitting. I want to finish more things. I'm getting organized (Bobby helped me with that this morning) and have many (many, many) projects ready to go. I have lots of tools and materials, I just need to be more focused and organized.

So far that's all I've got. We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad there was no impact! Good to read about it after it is done and everyone is safe.

RitaLee said...

Thank goodness for Bob's "highly advanced video-game-maneuvering skills." Glad you'll be writing more - I thoroughly enjoy your take on things, Leah!